Saturday, September 1, 2012

Arabian Nights

I've begun rehearsal for Arabian Nights, the production I auditioned for last year. I got the role of Sharazad, who, in being the woman who tells the stories to the King and facilitates the play, is one of the leading roles. I have a great deal of lines but at the moment we've only had four rehearsals so the pressure has not hit quite yet. We've rehearsed the Prologue and begun one of the stories, Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves. I'm really excited to put this production on because the character contrasts starkly with my previous character of Lucy. Though I loved playing a little girl and appealing to a younger audience I'm happy for the change of playing a wise, mature woman whose eloquence and wit drives the story. In doing the play I'm demonstrating perseverance and commitment to theatre and the drama department. I'm looking forward to developing new skills on the way as I learn about storytelling theatre and gain knowledge of Arab culture and ways to apply it on stage. Furthermore, in the story of Es-Sindibad we'll be using puppetry. Hence we'll have to create the puppets and learn how to handle them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment