Thursday, September 27, 2012

PTO Picnic

So the PTO Picnic was was a few weeks ago, on September 8th. I baked cupcakes with Meg and Benazir the night before for Operation Smile, showing our ability to work collaboratively with one another. I'm so glad we did so because these cupcakes raised a HUGE amount of money for Operation Smile. We weren't in the best location but we got people to walk around with the cupcakes and sell them to parents/other people who were simply milling about, not in our area. When they sold cupcakes they'd also tell the buyers about what we do in Operation Smile and they'd typically get more donations from them. We raised around 58000 KSH, which is enough for around two surgeries! Plus, Rosa and I manned the stall for around 45 minutes to an hour although we hadn't signed up because we didn't have enough Operation Smile members to man the stall. I think this was on part my fault because as secretary I should have made a sign up sheet with time slots rather than just writing down a list of people who wanted to volunteer so that this problem would not have existed. This will help me for next time though, because I'll be sure to create a timetable for who will be doing what when.

Selling Books for Interact

Shirts for Operation Smile:) 


I also had to work for Interact during the picnic from 12-1. I donated four books and helped sell a bunch of books too. I also took a large amount of photos of what we were doing. We were in a good location so we got a lot of business. I'm glad that I had two booths to be involved in because I felt very productive and as if I was really contributing to the groups I'm in. I particularly felt this way for Operation Smile because while manning the stall I talked to the new counsellor, Mr. Mahaffey, and told him about Operation Smile. He said he already knew about the group since it had existed in Pakistan, where he lived before, and told me to come by his office for a cheque. I went by the other week and got a cheque for $240-- enough for one whole surgery. It was extremely generous of Mr. Mahaffey and very exciting for us because we've already raised enough money for three surgeries and its only been two months of school!

Baking the cupcakes for Operation Smile 


No comments:

Post a Comment