Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Arabian Nights Matinee

Today was the matinee, our first real performance. It went decently. There were many errors, of course, but you always have that in a show so I think we pulled it off quite well. It was a little scary beforehand but once I got up there I wasn't nervous at all. I think it'll be a bit more nerve-wracking tomorrow night when we have an audience from ISK but I hope this audience will also stimulate us to give a better performance. I felt the audience today didn't react very well to the piece. Either our performance wasn't very good or, as children, they were too afraid to laugh and were too young to be engaged or they really didn't respond well to story theatre. I think that story theatre is a very different type of theatre than most people are used to, what with the continuous breaking of the fourth wall and the narration of one's actions. It catches people off guard and is risky to try but I'm glad we're doing it because it gives me a whole other type of theatre to have experience with. Maybe (because the demographic will be a bit older) tomorrow night people will respond better. A lot of the ensemble work in Sindibad and the Envious Sisters worked well so I'm happy about that, however I forgot one of my lines in the end during my monologue so that was frustrating. Hopefully tomorrow night that won't happen and the performance will be as fluid and comfortable as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment