Sunday, February 3, 2013

IC Trips: Coast


So I returned from my IC trip two days ago and I had a great time. The first day we learned about coconuts, how to make a roof out of palm fronds and we walked around the village. It was really interesting learning about the community in this village and how it functions. They taught us that the people there really rely on coconuts, as they have so many functions. Some of these functions include making oil, rice, drinks, medicine, building materials and so on. I thought it was amazing to find out how many things one tree can be used for!

On Tuesday we had the opportunity to go diving off Wasini islands. I went with Rosa and this was a challenge as well as a new skill for me, since I went on the fun dive. We saw a stingray, a moray eel, fish and coral. It wasn’t spectacular but I’m glad I did it because I now have more experience with diving and I hope to become certified before I move from Kenya. We also got to have lunch on the island, which was incredible. We had fish, shrimp, crab and all sorts of seafood. I love seafood so this lunch was delicious for me J

On Wednesday the whole day was dedicated to service and we got a lot complete and despite my back killing me the next day it was well worth it! We began by working for four hours on a tree nursery. At this point we had to mix cement continuously and lay it for the foundation of the nursery. We were able to engage with issues of global importance, as trees are an essential part of this community and truly help it function because of the many uses they provide. This was a tiring process as we had to continue bringing sand from one location to the next with wheelbarrows, mix the concrete powder with the sand, mix this mix with water in the wheelbarrows, lay this concrete and then begin the process over again. We took turns on each task and we also took a water break every 20 minutes, which I think was a good way to do it because it gave you motivation while working, as you had something to look forward to. In the next place we worked for 2 hours digging a foundation for a dispensary. This also allowed us to engage with issues of global importance, as we worked to build a dispensary for a community lacking the resources. Every time people in this community were seriously injured they had to travel all the way to Diani on boda or a matatu, which is not the best way to travel when injured. Our work allowed for the foundation for a project that could really make people's lives easier and could also potentially save their lives, as they will no longer have to travel so far away to receive medical help.

On Thursday we got to spend the entire day at the beach. While we were there we cleaned the beach up, picking up trash in one bag and flip flops in another. We only spent 30 minutes doing this but I think it really does make a difference if you get a lot of people out there cleaning up the beach, you can cover a large expanse of sand in a short amount of time. Then we learnt about a local project with recycled flip flops. A group of people have taken it upon themselves to pick up flip flops from the beach and make art from them. They told us a little about the project and then taught us how to make items out of flip flops. I made a bracelet. I think this is an incredibly important project that has so much potential to continue thriving. It makes such a difference, as not only does it clean up Diani beaches but it makes something beautiful out of items that were considered useless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment