Sunday, February 3, 2013

Mji Wa Huruma Home for the Aged

This is the list of supplies needed by the home that Evelyn wrote out for me 
Today I visited the Home for the Aged for which I proposed the cleaning supplies drive with NHS awhile back. I was able to get a list of things that they really need, detailing the cleaning supplies that they need. I also informed the woman who runs the home, Evelyn, that NHS would be coming by to clean the home on March 13. She informed me that the areas that most needed cleaning were the men and women's hostels and the kitchens. Knowing this is helpful because it will enable NHS to use our time effectively when we visit in March. We can plan ahead of time and create groups, one for the men's hostel, one for the women's and one for the kitchen. I'm really excited for this visit because it is allowing me to plan and initiate activities. Furthermore we are engaging with issues of global importance, as we work to aid the elderly. I feel that the elderly generally get left out of society and service groups. We tend to focus on children and it's important that the elderly also get some of this attention. I also asked Evelyn what the people there do during the day for fun and she didn't give me much on that so I am fairly certain that they don't have much planned for them. This is why I want to bring cards for the men and knitting/crochet for the women when we come next. Knitting/crochet may be hard to buy since it'll be expensive but perhaps we can think of something else. We may also think of an interactive activity we can do while we visit the home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment