Tuesday, April 10, 2012

POETRY:)

I submitted three different poems to the Leonard L. Milberg '53 Secondary School Poetry Prize on March 30th. Two of them I wrote prior to hearing about this contest and the third, The Truth Behind the Curtains, I wrote specifically for this contest. I hope to gain some recognition for this contest, as it would be very beneficial for me to succeed so much in something I'm truly passionate about before I even graduate. I also submitted the first one, Protection, to ISK's Just Write competition. I didn't place in this competition but I hope I still have a chance in the Leonard L. Milberg '53 Secondary School Poetry Prize. The poem I submitted to the Young Writers competition, Fairytale, is being published in the book this May, which means I have already fulfilled one of my CAS goals from the beginning of this year: to publish a poem without paying for publication as I did in my Personal Project, when I self-published a book. To win this poetry prize, or place, would be an incredible opportunity, surpassing my dreams and expectations:)

Protection
Knights in shining armor
Fairytale bliss
He defends my honor
By twilight we kiss.
Cradling my hand
He holds it close to his heart
Promising me land
Time to never spend apart

Sitting on a shelf.
Beyond all but his grasp
No longer am I myself
Upon my soul is a clasp.
Castles, jewels, stability.
What I believed to be perfection
But I’ve lost the ability
To live in this protection.
Trapped within a bubble
A snow globe in his eyes
It is now filled with rubble
A prison in disguise.
He vowed to protect me
Keep me from harm’s way
Never did I see
Through freedom I would pay.
He made me a promise
Which he intends to keep.
My snow globe begins to fill
As I continue to weep.

The Truth Behind the Curtains
No more broken sighs
Rip tears from tired eyes.
Keep it all inside.
Stomach curls up tight.
Insides come out each night
Slowly losing sight.
Breathing to satisfy
Inherent will to survive.
When living is a lie.
Escape this world
Hatred has unfurled.
Just a girl.
Pound these fists.
Cut these wrists.
Reality twists.
Cannot be found
When there is no sound
Doomed to drown.
Thoughts keep spinning
In desire there is sinning.
Identity; it is thinning.
Caged in expectations.
Decimated nation.
Awaiting cremation.
Falling
Falling
Falling
She awakens.

Ghosts of the Past
Crumbling in the darkness
Lost with no way out
Voice, long departed
No longer able to shout.
Within this forsaken graveyard
She is left to wither
So who is there to turn to?
They are dead to her.
Crawling from their graves
They cry as they’re beaten back.
She doesn’t need their help.
So she continues the attack.
Despite their desperate claws
She wants to be alone
Immune to her surroundings.
She doesn’t have a home.
She weeps in silent tremors.
Masked by strength within illusions
She wants to be brave
But she’s lost in this delusion.
Vision, misconstrued
She craves this passing time
Hoping it will bring to light,
All she left behind.
Yet these corpses continue to haunt her
Daring to come close
They have more substance than
Her irretrievable ghosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment