Thursday, April 5, 2012

Volleyball in ISK

So I tried out for the Volleyball team here in Kenya and I didn't make the Varsity but Ms. Heisler said I have potential so she allowed me to be on JV. Ms. Thompson is the JV coach and they said that I have a good serve and a lot of enthusiasm, I'm not afraid to dive for the ball. I'd already discovered that I'm not afraid to dive for the ball in Sri Lanka but I didn't realize I had a good serve. I recently started serving overhand, as Ms. Heisler requested that we do so and I found that I can actually serve overhand. Also when it is done correctly it is far more effective and controlled than an underhand serve. I'm having a little difficulty being on JV because I'm the only junior, which makes it uncomfortable for me. I'm a bit embarrassed that I did not make Varsity, however this is simply a new challenge that I need to overcome and I'm sure that I will be able to do so. Looking at it in a positive light, I'm the oldest so I have more experience than some of the other girls, which means I'll be able to get a lot of time on the court. Furthermore, I hope to develop new skills during my time on JV, hopefully I can improve my attack and block, as well as my knowledge of the positioning on court. Being on JV allows me to demonstrate perseverance and commitment for this sport, one that I only began this year and have thoroughly enjoyed. Despite being benched during SAISA and not making Varsity I'm determined to keep playing and perhaps even make ISSEA next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment